Sunday, September 23, 2012

Pregame Introductions


Welcome, readers, as I christen "I Think, Therefore I (S)am" and add yet another blog you don't have time to follow closely. I hope to provide you all with valuable and refreshing insight into the world of sport through commentaries on various teams, leagues, athletes and coaches, ranging from the Washington Nationals to tennis star Andy Murray. I must warn you, if you aren't remotely interested in sports, close the link. Believe me when I tell you, this platform will bore you.

I have several other interests, believe it or not. I earned degrees in history and religious studies from East Carolina University but seldom will this blog contain information about the German wars of unification or the growth of Islam in Africa. Both topics are fascinating and neither will be discussed here, that's all. A fair warning, if you will.

Some of may know me, others may not. Since before I can recall, my passion has revolved around sport. Granted, I've always been partial to the "big three" - football, basketball and baseball. I've also spent my life closely following the PGA Tour, professional tennis and more recently, European soccer. This site will examine issues in most realms involving athletics. With that said, don't be surprised if I don't flood this work in progress with entries concerning badminton or synchronized swimming. I extend apologies with not even an inkling of sincerity to the archery fanatics out there, both of you. Perhaps for the right price I would consider doing a piece on rowing, but we're talking big bucks.

Even if you and I share the same passion, my background may still put you to sleep. However, it's imperative that I briefly offer a glimpse of life through my lens.

Here's the shortened version, courtesy of my friend, Mr. Cliff Notes.

My father, Yogi (nicknamed after Yankees' legend Yogi Berra) stepped down from his position as an insurance agent in the mid-80s to become an assistant high school football coach in his hometown of Whiteville, where he once "starred" as a three-sport athlete for the Wolfpack. Dad, if you're reading this, I'm kidding. We all recognize your prep accomplishments at the turn of the nineteenth century. Moving on, he served as an assistant on Whiteville's 1987 state championship football team, which featured Clemson star and NFL Pro Bowler Chester McGlockton. Dad served as a head coach at St. Pauls and West Brunswick, where we won over eighty percent of his games. I attribute this to my skills as the team's water distribution coordinator. Pops disagrees, yet it's certainly debatable.

I have two older brothers, Will (oldest) and Brett. We were coach's kids and we ate it up, Brett more so than Will and I. Whereas myself and Will used the field house or locker room as a playground, our middle brother viewed it as if he were at work. Brett even took it upon himself in the sixth grade to remove a JV player from West Brunswick's varsity locker room before practice one day. There was one small problem - the JV player Brett "dismissed" had been promoted to the varsity squad by dad earlier in the week. Nice going, B.

After winning a state championship in baseball his senior year at West, Brett eventually landed at East Carolina where he accepted a job as a student assistant on the Pirates' football coaching staff. There was never a doubt Brett wouldn't be a coach one day. We have since tossed countless church bulletins with diagrams of isolation runs, passing routes and goal-line packages sketched in the once-blank space beneath the line reading 'Closing Prayer.' He later received an actual playbook, which didn't include tabs for an invocation or benediction. Brett graduated and eventually accepted a coaching job (linebackers) at North Greenville University, a small, Division II institution in Tigerville, S.C. He is currently in his fourth year as a member of the Crusaders staff. When he does have the rare opportunity to come home for a quick visit, he typically spends them in the living room with dad, a dry erase board and a host of 'X's' and 'O's.'

I recently finished my degree at ECU as well and returned home after working in the athletic office as a student assistant in the Media Relations Department. I spent my last two years of college covering Pirate athletic events, ranging from women's soccer to the Conference USA Softball Tournament in 2011. I loved every second of it. I spent my whole life around some kind of ball field, diamond, pitch, court, take your pick. Working as a part, albeit a small part, in collegiate athletics sparked my decision to launch a career involving sports just like Brett and my father. Upon graduation in May, I returned home and began working part-time for our local newspaper as a sports correspondent.

Fortunately, Will and his wife, Laura, live in the area as well, thus giving me an outlet to vent when dad tries to convince me Otto Graham would be a stud quarterback in today's NFL. Will shares my unrelenting passion for the Atlanta Braves. Actually, his exceeds mine with relative ease. The man can tell you Atlanta's salary cap and the issues it faces this offseason. This guy is non-tendered. This other guy is in his arbitration year. This outfielder is a client of Scott Boras - you get the picture. I'll admit, I'm not quite that intense. Whoever walks on the field donning a Braves' uniform has my support, unless of course Coach K stuns us all and begins a career as a member of the Bravos. Will and I discuss varying topics in sports for at least a half-hour each day, whether it by text or phone call if we don't see each other. He also has the luxury of Direct TV and its extensive packages for channels showing games, thus I take advantage of his dish when the opportunity presents itself.

That's all for now. Thanks for reading.

Check out "I Think, Therefore I (S)am" later today for the blog's first non-autobiographical entry as I reflect on one of our family's favorite pastimes - watching college football on Saturdays.      


No comments:

Post a Comment